Jun 10, 2009

Lessons in netiquette

When you're having a conversation (and I use that term incredibly loosely) on Facebook, at what point does one just stop replying? In my mind, wall-posts are essentially online versions of small talk. Which is why the internet is great. You can stop the small talk without saying anything, and not have to deal with awkward silences or making an excuse to go talk to somebody else.

But the other side of the coin is when you're talking to actual friends, and frankly, I don't particularly like replying to any messages at all. I barely post on other people's walls, and if I do I almost never expect a reply. So to have to then REPLY TO THAT REPLY is just way more effort than I normally would like to invest in Facebook.

Moreover, how much is too much use of these programs? Is there a hard cap on how many Tweets per hour one should submit before it simply becomes asinine? How often you should post on people's Facebook walls? How many photos in an album you should have witty comments for? (Clearly you can't comment on all of them, or that's just sad).

I'm not sure, but I think I just might be virtually-socially awkward. I just don't know the common protocol for these newfangled internet things.

Then again, it could be argued I'm just socially awkward. Period.

But then I'd say you're wrong.

And.... yea. That's it.

4 comments:

Dust said...

No, you're not virtual-socially awkward. You're just virtual-socially mature with enough self confidence to not crave validation on how popular you are on the interweb.

-d

Steph said...

i use facebook mainly to share photos and to contact people who seem to not answer emails but only answer facebook messages. Seriously everyone should just get a blackberry.

Dust said...

Sure, if your company gives you one for free.

Cool kids have iPhones.

-d

Unknown said...

LOUD NOISES