Sep 2, 2009

Hello reality

So for better or for worse I've basically decided to completely stop looking for a journalism job. Simply put, unless I can get hooked up, it just doesn't seem like anyone wants to take a flyer on a candidate who spent most of his time doing PR.

That said, I'm just going to look for a job that will pay me well, and I'm going to do as much freelancing on the side as humanly possible until maybe one day I end up somewhere I'd rather be working. It just isn't feasible to survive as solely a freelancer right now... you need money to build your portfolio and live a life at the same time.

These are very mutually exclusive options.

Who knows, maybe I'll really enjoy crushing people on the corporate ladder.

Everyone always figures me for a cynic, but I guess deep down I'm actually a hopeless romantic.

Am I like an inside out clown? Is that what's going on here?

8 comments:

Dust said...

What kind of job are you looking for?

-d

Cammie said...

i think you are a hopeless romantic pretending to be a cynic.

Simon said...

one that pays well?

Dust said...

No such thing.

I take it you mean any kind of office/desk job?

Let me tell you about a place where young people become old and dreams go to die... It's called the Government of Canada.

Probably get the best buck for your bang there. Give you time to do other stuff, like freelancing.

-d

Simon said...

Whoa, hey there, don't oversell it or anything.

I am currently applying to a handful of government jobs.

Dust said...

If you need help getting past PSC screening, I can connect you to a handful of public servants who are experts at manoevering through the hiring competition process.

-d

Val said...

I've heard the same thing about the Government and after months of looking in the journo field I've started applying there too. I agree about freelancing Simon, it just aint enough.

Steph said...

I love govt jobs. Although technically mine is for a public company... whose's only share holder is the govt.