Apr 5, 2008

lightening the load

The concept of joining clubs and classes completely makes sense to me now that my schedule has devolved into what more or less is representative of regular office hours. I don't know what to do with my free time outside of going to the gym and watching sports on television. 

The fact that I am resolutely content with such an existence is a story for another day.

Upon getting a haircut today, It crossed my mind what a difference it makes when someone obviously cares about doing a good job. I tipped the guy well (the actual price of the haircut was only $10, so I mean, they deserve some kudos) but it was because it was evident throughout the haircut that he really wanted to do a good job. He was meticulous, and although personally I can't tell the difference between a diligently cut head of hair and one victimized by a suck-and-cut stylistically speaking, what I definitely could discern what the effort.

I applaud effort. It's an under-appreciated trait in our hustle and bustle society for someone to take a little extra time to make sure things are held to a higher standard of quality. 

The world would be a better place if we all approached our jobs with that kind of attitude. 

Next week's life lesson: saying thank you when somebody opens a mall door for you.

3 comments:

Alex said...

well i know some people try to keep a relationship with their haircutter. one guy stopped working one place and my friend and his friends scoured around til they found him at a new place. for the first year i was with my current hair guy, we talked about so much warcraft that i think his coworkers knew the lingo.

i'm an ass, i try to say "you're welcome" to people regardless whether they say thank you when i open the door for them.

Steph said...

i loved my old hair cutter, he used to talk to me about his gf and all their problems it was fun. He was so sweet although he wasnt that great at cutting my hair. When he left i decided to go else where. But i guess i only really cut my hair maybe twice or three times a year so really i dont care too much about it.

I always say thanks to people who open doors for me. But i dont tip beggers who constantly stand there holding them open cuz really they didnt open that door specifically for me so whats the point?

Anonymous said...

haha, i do that 'you're welcome' thing too. but sometimes under my breath. i think sometimes they hear me, because they kinda glance backwards, and turn away awkwardly.

i think it's fine to tip those people that hold open doors. at least you're reinforcing effort that way. it's a different story if you're dropping money off to those people that are sitting at the side of the street with a cup/hat set out in front of them (+/- a sign), because in that case you're just reinforcing laziness and lack of effort. but i think if you're rewarding effort, more will come