Feb 25, 2008

I don't like to stereotype, but...

I came home today to discover a box of Chunky soup sitting by our front door, roughly 20 cans worth of mixed variety.

Note: nobody in my household eats/drinks Chunky soup. I make soup maybe once every six months in an act of desperation should there be no other food options available; my parents probably even less. 20 cans may not sound like a lot to people who actually eat this stuff, but in my house it's about on par with discovering a flock of parrots in your living room.

My dad literally came running down the hall when he heard me come in.

"You hungry? Want some soup?" he asked with strange enthusiasm.
"Not really..." although at this point, the obvious question had to be asked. "Where did all this soup come from?"
"It was a such a good deal. One dollar a can."
"Who's going to eat all this soup?"
"I don't know. But look, there are different types"
"OK... you know, I don't think we're ever going to eat all this"
"What does [insert mangled English pronunciation of minestrone] mean?"

As an added bonus, last week he came home with a family-sized pack of life-savers candy. Who eats life-savers anymore? We were literally giving them away to various house visitors, and we mostly forced them onto people against their consent.

Our pantry is a veritable treasure trove of bargain-bin foods that will never see the light of day.

I was going to write a post with more gravitas, but now it seems dour of me. Perhaps tomorrow.

4 comments:

Alexander said...

ACTUALLY. i bought a pack of lifesavers last week!
it was glorious! it's like... the stuff that memories are made of...brings you back to when you were a kid!

Steph said...

i think the last time i had lifesavers was 5 years ago, only cuz someone gave me one of those mini packs of halloween lifesavers. But campbells soups are awesome! No frills had their $1 sale again and so i bought like 5 of those Schneider's lunch stackers. THey are soo good. You should have seen me and des when it was the $1 primo soup sale!

Cammie said...

....did you think you could use the words gravitas and dour in the same sentence and not sound like a big snob? haha

Simon said...

just gotta be a hater.

tsk tsk...