May 29, 2009

Halcyon days

Slept for a good seven hours last night, then for some reason went back to sleep shortly after waking up just to tack on an extra five. Obviously, because the only thing better than seven hours sleep is 12 hours of sleep.

Now that things are looking much more chipper, I'm going to spend my dad fiddling with a brine and roasting a chicken for dinner. I've been playing with different ideas but I think for my first attempt at brining I'm going to keep it simple and see what the bird tastes like with a basic salt/sugar/water bath. Figure I can base all future decisions (including whether I like brine roasted chicken at all) off of today's experience.

Anybody have any tips? One hour until I submerge supper.


4 comments:

Dust said...

turn out well?

-d

Simon said...

It did actually, considering I didn't even put anything on it after patting that sucker dry and popping it in the oven. Gives it a little bit of flavour, the skin was super crispy and it was really really moist. I was impressed.

Steph said...

Should we start up dinner club again? mister gourmet chef?

Dust said...

Sure. We'll change the rules:
1) Simon publishes a menu, a price, and a date & time.
2) Dinner club RSVPs
3) Simon cooks and serves us dinner.

-d