May 12, 2009

Literature and romance. But no Zombies.

This is the part of the movie where I laughed out loud in the theatre, and Irene slapped me.

There's this part in the movie Stranger Than Fiction where Dustan Hoffman is explaining the classical romance of literature, where the main protagonists usually start off hating each other before they slowly (or via an epiphany) fall in love.

I suppose in theory this makes sense. I mean, hate and love are, when distilled, just two variations (symptoms?) of intense passion. So perhaps it's rational that somebody you have strong enough feelings for to drive you insane, naturally might also be someone that has the ability to... well, drive you insane. In a good way.

This is an interesting theory. I don't currently subscribe to any such sort of axiom in real life, but for the most part because I haven't ever seen it happen, or even heard of it happening, in reality.

It's common in books, movies, television and theatre, but where did this idea come from anyways? How did the romantic ideal come to be that two individuals who hate each other might eventually (and fatefully) be meant to be together?

It just seems so practically implausible. Is that the whole point? Is the artistic idea of romance simply achieving what we perceive to be impossible?

Seriously, does anyone have an example they might be able to cite of this occurring in real life? I am very, very curious as to the frequency of this strange, rare (yet somehow cliched) happenstance.

Moreover, I've never hated anybody before. I'm not entirely sure I'm capable of hating someone, unless they were say, some sort of monstrous criminal who refused to apologize for his/her crimes.

But I am equally sure I wouldn't fall in love with them.

8 comments:

Dave said...

In real life, it's usually the other way around... fall in love first, then start the hating... haha...

I think that nowadays, it's not uncommon for people to run from their problems, or problem people, thus negating any chance for that 180 spin into true love. You just choose not to be around that person anymore.

I suppose that if the conditions are right, it's not totally implausible.

Funny, a couple days ago, i was about to watch Stranger Than Fiction again, but then looking at Maggie Gyllenhaal's face on the cover turned me off and I watched Gladiator instead.

Cammie said...

hahaha, dave is funny.

i can't imagine 2 ppl who ACTually hate each other falling in love. but i can imagine it with 2 ppl who argue a lot and annoy each other alot because they're just forms of attention.

Simon said...

"...a couple days ago, i was about to watch Stranger Than Fiction again, but then looking at Maggie Gyllenhaal's face on the cover turned me off and I watched Gladiator instead."

You know how I know you're gay?

I think it's true though, honestly lots of people who start of loving each other end up hating each other, hahaha

Steph said...

Yea its easier to start at love and move towards hatred. I also find Maggie Gyllenhaal unattractive, like when i watched the new batman movie and the joker was all "youre so beautiful" to her and i was like "naaww, not really..." I also find the blond chick from fringe unattractive even though simon thinks she's hot.

Simon said...

I don't think she's hot.

But she's most certainly not unattractive.

And Maggie Gyllenhaal is cute.

Dave said...

Oh.. THAT's why you think I'm gay...

Fringe girl is better than Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Cammie said...

i agree with dave. simon's weird.

i said...

that's weird cause i usually have no respect for simon's tastes....but i agree with him this time. maggie g beats fringe girl.

and simon, the part in the movie where i slapped you was seconds earlier when darcy was crossing the field with his shirt half-buttoned.