May 28, 2009

Some people get grumpy when they're hungry.

I get grumpy when I'm sleepy. Which, in theory, should be all the time.

But I define sleepy as the point most people whould likely call "exhausted". For some reason, when I sleep 4-5 hours straight I'm totally awake, but if I get disturbed and fall back to sleep at afterwards I am inevitably incredibly tired the next day. I assume it has to do with sleep patterns or circadian rhythms or some such thing, but I'm too lazy to even google it.



2 comments:

blt said...

i feel like during some psych class, they mentioned that if you awaken during REM sleep (which, supposedly, is when you're dreaming), you're supposed to feel more refreshed. i guess that doesn't help you too much, though, unless you've started having dreams again. but yeah.

wait, so when you slept for 5 hours after sleeping 7, did you feel tired?

Dust said...

you can look up "acute oversleeping"

basically, the gist of it is that objectively measured alertness is actually better with acute oversleeping than without.

A lot of people speculate on why you feel like crap after over-sleeping, but that's purely subjective. It could be the guilt associated with oversleeping.

-d