Jul 10, 2006

truck driving man

one of my hobbies is playing sports. any sport. i'll play them all, and even better yet -- i'll play them all competitively. i spend five of my seven days a week playing some sort of organized sport.

this has often caused me to make some difficult decisions concerning how i allocate my free time.

on top of playing an absurd amount of sports, i am also the type of person who spends a lot of time with friends. sure, i have some mild introvertive tendencies, but by-and-large my car is usually tooling around the city hopping from place to place meeting people.

up to this point, i've always figured that i have all my life to hang out with friends. but i'm only young once, and as such i should do all the things my body still allows me to do while it lasts. this includes playing every sport i can find.

as the summer ticks away however, i find myself increasingly feeling guilty for not spending enough time with people. for not keeping in touch with old friends, bothering to reach out to new ones, and perhaps not caring for the ones i already have quite as much as i should.

i realize i am no one's saviour. i don't claim to be that egotistical or naive, though i may feign it at times.

but i still feel that God has blessed me immeasurably. with health, with friends, with a wonderful situation in life. someone recently reminded me of the thought that we are expected to give back to God what he has given us. that it is our responsibility to take the talents and resources we are blessed with not for our own satisfaction, but for the purposes that He has set out for us.

i've been putting myself first for so long. and to what end?

reality slap in the face.

so long coming. so badly needed.

No comments: