Feb 27, 2009

How to not sound like a robot

I'm not a fan of voice mail.

Or answering machines.

Or any sort of voice messaging system, frankly, and I mean this both in terms of dialing in and having one myself.

Whenever I get somebody's voicemail, nine out of ten times I will simply hang up and call back later instead of leaving a message. I hate leaving a message. It's not that I am incapable of thinking fast enough to leave the most rudimentary of details (i.e. why I am calling). Rather, I find that more often than not, my ability to convey that basic information manifests itself in a way that makes me sounds like a babbling child.

My biggest flaw in this regard is not knowing when to simply hang up. I often say what I need to say, then proceed to follow with 30 seconds of 'um' and 'ah' noises, before I finally conclude with an epiphanus "...soooo yea! call me!"

There is a reason I did not enter broadcast journalism.

Conversely, in my attempts to be professional sounding, I have received myriad suggestions that my personal voicemail message sounds like I am applying for an annunciation quality assurance position.

In my defense, I purposely formalized this greeting for the sole purpose of job searching. I would rather seem like an over-organized freak then one of those dudes that just plays an R&B song for two minutes then the machine beeps.

Or was that pagers? Actually I think I did used to do that. Awkward.

1 comment:

Dust said...

Professional does not equal boring/robotic.

You can still have a creative voice mail greeting, and maintain a base level of professionalism at the same time.

I think it's better to have an interesting personal greeting that sorta shows what kind of person you are. In a job-hunting context, it helps people 'like' you better, which (in my opinion) is more important than being qualified...

-d