Dec 3, 2008

The opposite of narcolepsy

I suppose technically it would be insomnia, but that implies to me that narcolepsy is just that you sleep all the time. I was under the impression narcoleptics were equally categorized due to the fact that they can't control when thy fall asleep either, so technically insomnia's bizzarro doppelganger should be like, uncontrollable prolonged hibernation, or a mini-coma or something no? 

The reason I wonder is because I think I have whatever the opposite of narcolepsy is. I keep waking up for no reason, regardless of what time I sleep. The last few nights I've gone to bed at myriad times: 11pm, 12am, 3am, 2am and I always wake up naturally sometime between 5-7am. 

I haven't woken up to sunlight in over a week. I don't know why my body is doing this to me, sleeping is one of my special powers. This is like if Superman woke up one day and fell off a building trying to fly, or Oprah woke up and wasn't hungry -- it's unthinkable. 

Now, I realize this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's no coincidence I suppose that I've been more productive in regards to job searching and freelance work in the last week than I have in the entire month prior. Being awake before noon afford me all sorts of time to do work and still have my fun at night -- what a concept! 

I'm just curious why all of a sudden this would happen though? It's like my body is trying to tell me something, probably along the lines of "Hey dumbass, I'm sore from lying here." 

Fortunately, I often go to McDonalds for breakfast these days, so I suppose I still have the last laugh on my being. Take THAT colon. 

10 comments:

Ivan said...

it's called getting old.

Vivian Mau said...

i think you've always had a sordid relationship with sleeping.

Anonymous said...

dude, i feel your pain, i had some trouble sleeping through the night too for a while there.

but you're right, it does make you more productive. so frustrating.

also, good job on the regular blogging. i'm having a hard time keeping up

Elleona said...

insomnia

Johan K said...

There is a condition in which the body falls asleep but the person stays conscious. It's called sleep paralysis.

Anonymous said...

For the last 2 years I've been goin sleep at 3-5am n I wake up at 6 or 7am EVERYDAY.. Don't know how I function. Why is this :'(

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you're just getting old.
Confucious says, try going to sleep earlier. And remember, there is plenty of time for sleeping when you're dead!

Unknown said...

My shriveled sack needs to be extended due to these extensive gauntlets of sleep and lack of. I believe further analysis could prove beneficial to a conclusion.

Unknown said...

Is it insomnia? Last post was just being funny. I don't know what it is. I sleep incredible amounts of time and. Stay up for days. Or 7am- 4 pm and still am up till 3am. For months.

James said...

Very useful for me