Dec 1, 2008

Couplesyncrisies, part 1

Why is it that once someone is in a serious relationship, or engaged, or married, all trace of unique individual presence online is sacrificed for the sake of a combined couple-presence for all communique? 

Emails? Lets just share one. Or perhaps one person will send or receive from the other half's address, but speak for both individuals. Evite? Plus one please, "me and [blank] will be there". 

I've never gotten to this stage, so I must say I am curious; is there some sort of conscious decision to just stop checking your own email at some point? 

I understand this occurrence in the situation where it's some sort of email planning chain, in which case you probably had to confirm if your significant other was coming before you replied, in which case yes it is probably more convenient to reply for them at that point. But that's only if you are replying from your own account. 

Often people reply from their significant other's account. This confuses me. If my girlfriend was sending emails from my account, I would probably punch her in the ovaries. Even if my girlfriend was just reading my emails I'd probably suspect she was turning into Kathy Bates from Misery (Ah, Kanye).

I find shared emails even odder. Why would anyone want to share an email? That's just disorganized. They're free. You probably had one of your own to begin with. Why on earth would you go through all the trouble of telling everyone you know to change their routine and switch to a new account where half the content is going to be irrelevant to you? Plus, you can't even use it professionally. What gives? 

And Evite? C'moonnnnnn, somebody bothered to include you both on a list. Just click the button, how hard is that?

What's next? Shared facebook profiles? I bet people would if they could. And that frightens me.

4 comments:

TNSL said...

I think its more so cuz one person in the relationship tends to be always online and very attentive to email especially if its sent out to a large number of people and so replys for both.

As for shared accounts i only have one that is shared and i was created solely for wedding planning purposes which i think makes a lot of sense to have a single point of communication when dealing with vendors and rsvp etc.

I totally agree that people should not use other people email accounts. I like knowing that no one else is going to read my emails although i did tell gord my password in case i cannot access the internet and i need him to find something for me, which happens a lot... (i should really get a blackberry). I only reply from gord's account if we are both on a planning email chain and someone asks me a question and gord is already reading the email so its more efficient to answer the email from his account rather then log out and then log back on to answer the email he was already reading. this rarely happens though probably cuz i'm online way more than gord is.

But yea in general i agree, have your own email accounts and reply in a timely fashion.

Steph said...

oops i forgot to log out of my other account. my bad.

Vivian Mau said...

i'm not familiar with these practices.

i know several people who don't enjoy writing/checking emails, so if someone (a significant other) was willing to do that for (usually a him), he usually sees that as a plus.

i guess some people don't put that much weight on emails. they just see it as a convenient vehicle for a quick response to a simple question.

there's a part 2?

Dave said...

The following is a true story:

Evite is sent to Mr. and Mrs... separately.

Mr. views Evite... can't remember if he's busy that day... (memories of several unpleasant past experiences of clicking "yes" when, unbeknownst to him, he's already scheduled for dinner with in-laws, flash before his eyes).. must check with Mrs.

Mrs. views Evite... whether she clicks "yes" or "no", it doesn't matter because she has final say... and responds for both.