Jan 29, 2009

Physical observations

My lower body is freakishly strong.

This is the conclusion I have come to after (intermittently) working out for the past several weeks. When it comes to upper body or core exercises, I can't even come close to keeping up with those freaks of nature in the p90x videos.

The plyometrics session however is kind of funny. It's basically just squats and jumping, which is kind of up my alley. I can actually say with some honesty that I don't find that session very difficult, and can usually outpace the video.

Think about that. I have the upper body of a skinny desk jockey, but the lower body of a creatine enhanced muscle bound hulk. I find that hilarious.

Strong probability for an explanation likely resides in my lifetime of basketball and softball, but in general I have noticed that asian guys tend to have strong lower bodies. Like, really thick calves and quads. Have you ever seen Yao Ming's legs? They're tree trunks!

Compare his calves to Dikembe Mutombo's in this picture. They're almost twice as large, even though he's only four inches taller. Crazy.


I wonder why this is. Maybe it's evolutionary from hauling bricks up a mountain to build a giant-ass wall. Conversely, you'd think we'd be better at track and field sports, or cycling at least, with all that lower body strength. The day paddle boating becomes an Olympic event, the world had better watch out.

In due time I suppose, our lower body powers will be properly harnessed.

But for now we bide our time.

4 comments:

Steph said...

Yea asian guys have freakish calves. Have you ever seen kenric's legs? massive! Although i dont think he jumps or runs faster then average so that's weird. Although Thomas's calf is thicker than my thigh (no joke i measured) and he is faster and stronger than most so at least it makes sense on him.

Cammie said...

my calves have gotten bigger from ballet...not a desired outcome.

Anonymous said...

aww, that's unfortunate it applies to girls too.

if it's not muscle mass (that determines ability), it must be something like the ability of the muscle to use energy, like on a molecular level. mitochondrial efficiency or something like that

Simon said...

I think the answer is sarcoidosis.