Jan 27, 2009

Recession bingo!


There are some problems where, even though I feel bad for someone, I am strangely envious of them as well.

Anyways.

Have you heard the radio commercials where two women talk about the coalition possibly shooting down today's budget? I wonder how those ads are received by demographic. Personally I find many Conservative ads are starting to sound more and more like propagandized state messages, but I can see how my relative liberal bias' might incline me to that.

I suppose it's the premise that negative advertising works at all that bothers me. One would think we'd place a priority on understanding how our country is run, but the whole pre-holiday debacle revealed all sorts of troubling trends: Who's our head of state? Is the coalition a constitutionally elected government?

If you're going to partake in the political process, shouldn't we all make it our responsibility to understand it? We don't even have complicated issues like a State College system to deal with like the Americans do. All things being equal, our parliament is pretty easy to understand. Only two years ago did we as a country shoot down a change to a mixed-member proportion system not because of an educated decision, but our general laziness to figure out what the hell mixed-member proportion actually meant.

We need a way to make Canadian politics exciting. There must be a way to inject intrigue and enthusiasm about how our country is run, and a lot of that has to do with our actual leaders I suppose. Not exactly a bunch of visionaries, these boys and girls.

Should be an interesting day still. I thoroughly enjoy the fact that as we have all been swept up in the Obamafication of western society, we've forgotten that here at home our own gong show of a government has been twiddling it's thumbs in time-out, still bickering and still doing no actual governing to speak of.

2 comments:

Gord and Steph said...

Yea i've heard that conservative ad on the radio and it kinda pisses me off and makes me laugh at the same time. Its pretty desperate sounding if you ask me with no tact or class, just begging. PLus it started airing before the budget came out anticipating the reaction to it, it kinda made me laugh, like why dont you just make a good budget so they cant object? hahaha

Anyhow yea i dont like politics canadian, american or worldwide. But i was cheering for Obama just cuz he can really present himself as a leader of change and hope. If it wasnt for harper's crazy eyes i wouldnt be able to pick out our cdn politicians from a line up of white haired white dudes and cuz i dont believe in any of them.

Steph said...

Hmm for somereason my name showed up as GS. Strange...