Jan 27, 2009

Please spend indiscriminately

You know, perusing the highlights of the budget (man are we boring. BUDGET 2009!!! WooWoo!) I realized that despite all our racial harmony, we really aren't making any progress at all in terms of finding some sort of harmonious long-term plan for Aboriginal Canadians.

Aboriginals
$515-million over two years for schools, water and key community services.
$200-million for skills and training.
$400-million for social housing on reserves.
$325-million to aboriginal organizations and provinces to deliver health programs and child and family services.
That's a whole lot of money for people who've been here longer than anyone else. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against this spending (although I'm sure many might be) but I simply find it astounding that after 150 odd years we still haven't come to any sort of relationship. I simply don't know enough about this topic to take any stances, I'm sure there are complexities and ideologies against integration, but I'd certainly like to know what they are.

1.4 billion dollars to essentially tread water. There must be a better way...

1 comment:

Steph said...

Honestly, i dont know much about the aboriginal deal either but i think they should get with it and join the rest of society (its been so long already) unless they are satisfied with having future generations of crackheads. I mean what i wouldnt give for free university education, they should all take the gov't money, get free excellent education, become lawyers, doctors and politicians and then over throw the govt from the inside. Why cant you still keep your culture and still progress with the rest of the world? i dont get it.