Apr 10, 2009

The long weekend post

Running on fumes. In the midst of another attempt at sleep cycle normalization. Didn't sleep last night, and am about to take my quick nap, which will have to tide me over until hopefully whatever time normal folks sleep.

Last night was predictably amusing as I went to a random house party my friend threw. My conclusion is that I officially am way too old for house parties.

Today, took my parents for dim sum at Yang's up in Tha Rill (That's Richmond Hill, by the way. I just invented that phrase, and I will be demanding credit when inevitably you begin to use it). I just had to see what everybody is fawning over with this place.

Overall, was quite pleased. It's straight up modern HK, and the most distinguishing feature of the food I would say is that everything just reeks of FRESH. Freshly made to order, using fresh ingredients. Not mind blowing, but considering 8 dishes came to only $40 (tax and tip included), no complaints from me.

They had some special dim sum options as well, such as "Jumbo Shrimp with Grade A Foie Gras" for $8. I assume they mean Grade A pâté? There's no way it'd be that cheap otherwise. Something about duck paste and shrimp didn't sound appetizing to me, but I give them kudos for having unique choices...

All in all, we were impressed. Definitely going into the regular dim sum rotation from now on.

Perhaps my only caveat? The place is tiny. We went at almost 2pm and it was still pretty busy. I'd hate to imagine the joint between 11:30am and 1pm on a weekend. My head hurts just thinking about it.

5 comments:

Dust said...

Yeah, went for dim sum too. Every dim sum place must have been packed today. It's how chinese people have quality family time.

-d

Ivan said...

yes, the food is remarkably fresh. all their staples are very well done, and not ridiculously priced. throw in a few specialty items that are all tasty and our family has also now included it in the dim sum circuit.

Steph said...

Where is this Yangs place?

I'm not an overly huge fan of dim sum but I like it every so often.

Cammie said...

what other places are on the dim sum circuit?

Vivian Mau said...

i never go up to the "rill" 'cause there's enough cheap and good dim sum places in scarlem. let me know where it is and i'll check it out.

i'm done school in a week an a half! let's do something.