Jul 28, 2009

Mmm... Hsu Fu Chi

Chuck Klosterman could only exist in America.

Only in such an idiosyncratic culture could a writer make a living dissecting and analyzing the vapid and morbid obsession we have in North America with celebrity pop-culture. Millions of people every day enjoy reading, watching and sharing opinions about why we act the way we act, listen to the music we do, celebrate the famous people we do.

Intellectuals are no exception. To send scholars at the minutiae of our indulgence is in itself an indulgence only we could afford.

Lately however, I am finding myself increasingly curious if a person such as Chuck Klosterman exists in China.

I cannot read Chinese, so my attempts to search for a Chucky Kwan type pop-culture swazi have been hindered. But in my mind, if Klosterman and Thompson can make turning a mirror on ourselves engrossing, can you imagine what an unfettered and gifted Chinese writer could do with her topic matter?

Let's be honest here -- China is Fucked. Up.

Partially because of the disparate geography, but throw in the political status, cultural repression and constant self-conciousness, and you have a potent and fascinating mixture. Instead of questioning what is produced by Chinese pop-culture, how about wondering why there is essentially no such thing as pop-culture on mainland China? And what little of it does exist is such a sad showing.

Japan, South Korea, India; all the major Asian nations have developed a pop-culture identity to call their own. Even Hong Kong. But for some reason, not mainland China. They have always just mooched off of Hong Kong, but that's like all of Canada being defined by Roch Voisine -- it just would never happen. (I realize the irony of a Canadian accusing another country of lacking cultural identity, but Beijing and Shanghai combined already have more people than we do. So bear with me).

Why is this? I find the question tantalizing. Naturally however I do not consider myself in touch with the Chinese youth. I only know what I can perceive from my house. If you are educated on the topic, please enlighten me.

Otherwise, I am off on a search, starting tonight. Updates to come on what I find.

*********************

As an aside, I found this article kind of neat.


I'm not a huge M&M's fan, but apparently I am in the hugenourmous minority.

3 comments:

Steph said...

Wow that Japanese top seller makes chocolates which are cheese, black pepper, jasmine, basil, and lemon salt flavoured. Sometimes i find myself craving just pure milk chocolate so i see why dairy milk is so popular but overall i dont really like chocolate much.

Unknown said...

Simon, I don't really have anything to add on the matter except that I love that you used the word TANTALIZING. It's a really good word when used unexpectedly.

Also, I like Smarties over plain M&M's but I'll take peanut M&M's any day.

Dust said...

FYI - the reason the article gives Snickers the shout-out is because it used to hold the #1 spot.

In general, I've gone away from dark choc and back towards milk chocolate. I don't eat Dairy Milk much though - just Green & Blacks Organic Milk Chocolate.

Mainland Chinese people have no culture - it was destroyed during the cultural revolution. They've filled the gap with the only thing readily available - greed and conspicuous consumption.

-d