Jul 8, 2009

Things I don't understand: Sport Sandals


Ok, I'm probably going catch a lot of grief here since almost everybody I know seems to love these things.

I don't understand the appeal.

The practicality is obvious -- when you're hiking, or doing sports. But as a day-to-day article of footwear, these don't strike me as a particularly well suited piece of equipment for the urban jungle.

One might argue that they combine the best features of a shoe and a flip-flop. I suppose that is a glass half full perspective.

Rather, I find they combine the worst features of a shoe and a flip-flop. They cannot be slid on and off due to necessary bindings/straps, yet despite that added effort, they do not provide the sort of protection from dirt and grime that a shoe covers you from.

Actually, to be honest I'm a bit biased, as I don't understand why you would even want your feet exposed to the world anyways. They get all dirty, you're unprotected, and you lose the all important ability to chase down criminals should a spontaneous act of courage be called upon. Sport sandals are a poor replacement for running shoes when hurdling cars, leaping from roofs and climbing chain link fences.

My question remains however, why would anyone choose to wear sandals over flip-flops of they were so inclined to tan their toes?

Don't even get started me on socks and sandals.

2 comments:

Cammie said...

its nice and cooler to wear sandals in the summer instead of shoes. sport sandals i assume are worn instead of flip flop or other slid in sandals merely because they are more ruggedly built with straps to secure them to your feet, making them potentially more comfortable and you can run in them and get them wet. other than that, i think they're quite the unattractive footwear and can see no other benefit.

Dust said...

Yeah, I always thought sport sandals were for boating, where you need a rugged sole for walking on rocky river/seabeds, straps so that they don't fall off your feet, but open toed so that water can drain away and your feet can dry off quickly.

I think most metro guys already understand that sport sandals are a fashion faux pas. It's the crunchy granola guys that cling to the sport sandal.

My newest summer-footwear obsession: moccasins.

-d