Jul 17, 2009

Slumber party!


I'm not ashamed to admit I borrowed the entire Felicity boxset from a female friend and watched them all. Granted, I watched them all with my girlfriend at the time, but I'm not going to deny enjoying every minute of it. Those who know me also are aware of my undying loyalty to Party of Five, My So Called Life and perhaps to a lesser extent, 90210 and Melrose Place.

My question, moreso in regards to the first few examples, is what has happened to the serialized drama on television these days? There are no more hour-long shows devoted to growing up, friendship, life, love and, in the case of Felicity, wiccan dimensional travel to alternate realities.

Every show on television these days has to have a gimmick. Even the best dramas currently airing (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Dexter) are inherently based on a circumstance. The characters are well developed, but the narrative is by far the backbone of all those shows. Mad Men may be an exception I suppose, but that isn't really a drama as it is watching a high society train wreck with sordid candor.

The only heir to the serialized-young-adult drama is Friday Night Lights, which, surprise surprise, I also adore. But despite surviving into season 4, it still suffers dismal ratings. It's the same mysterious fate that befell MSCL, and I've never figured out why Felicity and Po5 became cultural behemoths instead. My theory would naturally be that shows that are too real aren't escapist enough. MSCL was borderline depressing at times, but to be fair, as much as Felicity entertained in that now familiar JJ Abrams fashion, Po5 at times hit pretty hard too. I mean, it starts with a family losing their parents in a car crash.

I find these "chick shows" (full emphasis on air quotes there) to be some of the better written products on television solely because they are character driven, and can't resort to gimmicky plots without being called out on it. Unlike a show like Lost or BSG where things can be made up on the fly, the believability and reliability of characters is the most important facet in the writing. This, as a result, almost always leads to good television.

I didn't want this to be yet another 'watch FNL' post (which you should). Rather, I'm curious why this formula isn't attempted more often. Certainly the difficulty in pulling it off and maintaining an interesting set of characters and plot developments is time consuming compared to an arc about serial killers that certainly must come to a predictable end. Writing life empathetically is one of the toughest things to do.

Throw me in with the emotastic tween demographic if you will -- well crafted teenage girl drama is bar none always the most engrossing form of television. Respect.

9 comments:

Steph said...

I loved my so called life!! i also loved that show "get real" which starred anne hathaway before she was famous even though i think the show only lasted like 1 season. I never really got into Po5 or Felicity but i did like jack and jill. dawson's creek was more our era of teenybopper drama. Melrose and 90210 was more my sister's era so although i watched it i dont think i was really into it. I still love watching lost even though its ridiculous and i cant wait for its return. Alias (season 1-3) also rocked (i just finally finished watching season 5 it was only ok good). Dexter is great tv. has anyone ever seen "silk stalkings"? Great show i used to love it as a kid. That show "Life" is also quite good but i've only managed to catch like 3 eppisodes i think i'm going to try and download it.

Dave said...

i miss having cable... and the time to watch.

Lost always somehow finds its way into my schedule tho... I'm super stoked about the final season.

And the complete season of BSG is coming out on blu-ray... but for $250. I wonder if someone will split it with me...

Dust said...

I think TV drama is a way for people to escape and live out a fantasy life that isn't possible or feasible in real life.

New mothers, saddled with the responsibility of young child yearn for the drama, betrayal, and romance (read: freedom) in soap operas.

Lost adds a twist and helps answer that age old question of "what would you do if you crash landed on an island" - who would you like to crash land with, what would be one thing you grabbed from the plane, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that deep down inside, maybe you just want to be a teenaged white girl in an american high school.

-d

Simon said...

Or I'd like to be the guy sleeping with that teenage white girl.

Steph said...

As an afterthought... I have always found it weird that you can hold babies by their crotch. I mean if a baby boy gets hit in the balls does it still hurt as much as if you were an adult?

Cammie said...

what the heck? who does that??

these shows don't stay on tv anymore cause of stupid reality shows that are cheaper and easier to make and make more money cuz dumb ppl watch them. They tried to with shows like October Road and Ed and Gilmore girls lasted pretty long.

i remember really liking Once and Again, even though i think only divorced 40 year olds watched it.

Simon said...

Gilmore Girls, to me, fell into the same category as Dawson's Creek, where they tried the genre but failed because the writing was ridiculous. I want real people, with moral ambiguity and depth. Not simple archetypes.

Also, I believe Charlie does that. As in, the giant picture above, that OPG must have blocked. Get back to work, I need more power in my basement.

Cammie said...

.....he's wearing a Diaper. diapers are padded. and balls are not an issue.

Simon said...

if i was wearing depends, i would absolutely not let you carry me by the testes.